Sunday, July 12, 2015

Define Definition

Does anyone else use google to find definitions of words or is that just a nerdy thing that I do?

Like- not weird words- simple everyday words. Sometimes, I just like to know the exact definition of a word.
 For instance: Support and Micromanage. 
 I wanted to know, exactly, the definition of each term because apparently so many people are confusing the two! People who have never had true support in their business will often come into a new opportunity and when they receive an extreme amount of support- they immediately feel like they are being micro-managed.  
So how can we change this misconception of definition?


Recently there seems to be a very distinct line when it comes to direct sales personalities.  There are those who  crave the support and sisterhood/family like approach in a team.  And then there are those who feel like anyone who offers support or reaches out is stepping out of bounds and nosing in where they don't belong. They feel greatly violated and like anyone who asks, "how did your event go?"- is asking questions that are too personal!  

I've always offered my team an direct, hands on, extreme support kind of opportunity. I never want anyone to feel alone or lost. I pour hours and hours of my time into learning everything I can. I read books, watch webinars, attend meetings and conventions and then, pass on everything I learn to not only my team- but many, many others in our company-and sometimes even people not in our company.  I feel obligated to run my business this way.  I crave knowledge, I love being able to provide this kind of free help and knowledge to others.  I love that at the end of the day- I have helped someone better their circumstance or situation.  I don't ever try to do the work for anyone. I try not to say things like "this is the only way" or, "you have to do it this way"- but rather, "this is what I have learned" or "this was my experience".  I also follow the direct leadership's example. I follow shining examples of success and duplicate that.  I ask the questions that the leaders ask me. Because, my business is kind of their business. My success helps their success. We all kind of work together for total success.  It's true- my success is only accredited to my hard work and effort- what I put in, I get out- but, having that support all around me- is something that really moves me from "good" to "great".  

But lately it seems, there are some who find this type of support and help- smothering, intrusive or even abusive.  I can't comprehend that. If someone offers you their time, knowledge and endless support-  why would that be such a bad thing? I was not designed to be alone- work alone- and struggle through things alone. I was made to be interactive.  

I want to learn how to be the best leader I can possibly be.  I am constantly learning new leadership skills. I am following new leaders each day in all sorts of industries- to learn new things.  I want to master these skills and use them help people find success and happiness and, "business peace of mind".  No one should be unhappy or feeling alone or scared in their business.  

Leaders- how do you handle people who feel smothered by support? 

 “Leadership is the act of taking a person or group of people to a place they would not normally get to on their own” ~Unknown

Find more great leadership quotes here.


No comments:

Post a Comment