Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Congrats! You just built a team!

Congrats! You have just added your first team member under you! How very exciting! Let's explore what this means and does NOT mean!

First of all, it does not mean that you now have reliable residual income. You did not just secure your future. You need to now duplicate what you just did, over and over and over again- for a long time!

You just promoted yourself into a leadership roll. This means you are responsible for teaching your team all the things you learn, and being open to learn new things from them! You are now their parent and yes, you will have to hold their hand!

Welcome to the new world of leadership. You will quickly realize, that you need to lead by example. Be duplicate-able. You will still make mistakes. You will still need to look to your up line, and other leaders in the industry, and continue to learn every day! Then, find out how to pass that on to your team. And then, teach them how to learn and teach their teams as well! All while still doing what you just did to get your very first teammate! Seem overwhelming?

You will definitely have moments of overwhelming feelings. You will get tired, you will get scared- you will still need to move out of your comfort zones. Maybe there are fears you will need to conquer. But, you can do it!

I was scared to get on a conference call and talk to potentially hundreds of people! But, when one of my leaders asked me to share my story- I took the time to write out my story and practice it out loud a hundred times. When it came time for the call, I called in- and, soon they were introducing me. I then had the most embarrassing moment of my career. I could not un-mute myself, and missed my chance to talk!  They quickly moved on to the next person. I was mortified. I swore that night, I would never go on another call.

Nearly a year later, my team was growing. And, it came time that I needed to provide training to my team, and I knew, I needed to be the  leader and do the calls. So, I did. I learned all I could about creating and talking on conference calls. I wrote down what I wanted to say, and I just DID IT. And you know what, it all worked out great. Am I a pro? Heaven's no! I still need a lot of work! But, I'm doing it. And, I know, I am capable!

No matter where you are in the leadership phase, whether just starting out or a well established big wig- you will always need to learn something new, apply it and teach it to those who look up to you. Do not let them down! You can do this!

Next step....getting up on stage....but, that's a topic for another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment